Updated: Mar 16
This is such a great recipe for winter, if you're stuck for a simple, warming lunch then look no further than this spicy kimchi tomato soup. Plus, it's another great recipe where you can use up any leftovers! The flavour from kimchi allows you to mix up the vegetables whilst retaining the same overall flavour. The flavours of this dish are Pan-Asian inspired with sour lime, spicy chilli and sweet tomato.
The best part about using a Crafty Pickle ferment like our kimchi is that you don't need to add garlic, ginger or chilli - like you would with a normal Asian broth - as this is already in the kimchi! And if you want an extra kimchi kick then add a splash of our intensely flavoured Kimchi Juice. Serve with some warm, crusty bread and enjoy.
Mushrooms x 200g
Bell pepper x 1
400g tin tomatoes x 1
Lime x 1
Onion x 1
Olive Oil x 1 tbsp
Top with some chopped herbs or foraged green leaves.
1. Add the oil into a large saucepan on a medium heat.
2. Chop the onion into small thin slices, add to the pan and cook until transparent.
3. Meanwhile chop the pepper and mushroom into small thin pieces and add to the pan, continuing to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Next add the tinned tomatoes and cook until the sauce thickens (about 15 minutes).
5. Meanwhile in a food processor blend up your chosen kimchi (or chop finely) until it's fine.
6. Add the kimchi into the saucepan along with the juice from the lime and mix together, cooking for another 2 mins.
7. Then for a last taste test, adding any extra pepper or herbs if you wish. As you can see I garnished mine with wild garlic flowers.